Did you sign up for the shared hosting account yet? Did you spend some time with cPanel and are you comfortable with it? There are lot of options and menus in the cPanel that you can control many aspects of your hosting account. But our interest for now is in ‘Fantastico De Luxe’.
‘Fantastico De Luxe’ is auto installer for cPanel servers. It provides the ability to quickly install dozens of the leading open source content management systems. Today, I will show you how to install WordPress using Fantastico (for Hostgator) and Simple Scripts (for FastDomain) [wpmarketing.org]
1. Using Fantastico in Hostgator
When you login to your cPanel, click on the Fatastico icon. On the first screen, there is ‘Wordpress’ link on the left menu. Click the link. It will show the starting page of WordPress Setup Wizard. On the starting page, click on the ‘New Installation’ Link.
Now you’re on the first step of the our of 3.
- You should select domain name and subfolder (optional) : If already have setup add-on domain (added additional domains) in the cPanel, you will be able to see the list of possible domain to use. If you provide the subdirectory, it will be installed into that subdirectory and not domain root. By using subdirectory, you can install as many as wordpress instances within one domain url. For example, for domain ‘flvdata.com’ , if you don’t set any directory information, the wordpress URL will be ‘http://flvdata.com’. If you provide directory as ‘wpmdemo’, the URL will be ‘http://flvdata.com/wpmdemo’
- Admin Access data: This is very important information, so you should not forget. Userid and Password to access WordPress Admin page ( can be accessed adding ‘/wp-admin’ at the end of WordPress URL. — http://flvdata.com/wpmdemo/wp-admin)
- Base Configuration: Use your email address. Sitename is the Title of the WordPress. Description is subtitle. These information can be changed in the admin page at a later time.
Click on the Install WordPress button to proceed to second page. The automatically generated MySQL DB name for WordPress and URL address will be shown. There is other option that you can select here, so click on ‘Finish Installation’ button.
Now it will bring us to the final page after setup is completed. The userid, password, and the Admin URL is showing, so make a note somewhere.
Now open a new tab from web browser and check if everything works fine. In case you lost the password, check your email . You should have received an email with access information. [wpmarketing.org]
[IMPORTANT] 9/28/2009: Please update the Privacy Settings to allow search engines after Fantastico WordPress Setup. Refer to my latest article on this – Fantastico WordPress Installation and WordPress Privacy Settings.
2. Using Simple Script in FastDomain
Login to cPanel and click on the ‘Simple Scripts’ Button. On the start page, you will find ‘Wordpress’ Link under Blogs section. Click on the link. On the next page, click on the ‘Install button’ (There is only one button showing under ‘Install on an existing Server’ section)
On the next page, you are able to set the domain and the access information. First under Step 1 : Select the domain you want to setup WordPress under. If you already have setup add-on domain (added additional domains) in the cPanel, you will be able to see the list of possible domain to use. If you provide the directory , WP will be installed into that subdirectory and not the domain root. By using subdirectory, you can install as many as wordpress instances within one domain url. For example, for domain ‘flvdata.com’ , if I don’t set any directory information, the wordpress URL will be ‘http://flvdata.com’. If I provide directory as ‘wpmdemo’, the URL will be ‘http://flvdata.com/wpmdemo’
Under Step 2: Advanced Options, click on the ‘Click here to display’ link. By default the options are not shown and it’s possible to proceed with the setup without changing any information but I think you should at least check these information for later on.
- Please give your new site a name: This will be your blog title.
- Generate a random Administrator username and password for me.: Do not check the checkbox , but rather set the password now. Because eventually you will need to change the password to the one you like if you want to keep using the blog.
- Automatically create a new database: yes, Simple Script handles database creation just like Fantastico, but Simple Script gives us extra option to use different MySQL DB if we already have one setup manually. If you uncheck this checkbox, additional text fields will be shown for you to fill the MySQL connection info.
For Step 3: Legal Information, you can just check both check box and Click on the ‘Complete’ button. On the final page, the WordPress URL and Admin URL will be shown. Please make a note or bookmark them for your reference. Login information will be sent to you by email. [wpmarketing.org]
That was really easy right? But If you have any question, please post it in the forum http://wpmarketing.org/forum/forum/wordpress
You can also download the installation zip file directly from wordpress.org , and manually set it up by unzipping and ftp uploading to your account . But the above methods are much easier and clearer way. Oh by the way, you also need to setup MySQL first if you setup WordPress manually. That’s another learning curve.